In 1993, returnable/refillable containers were not
available in the non-crop speciality markets. In 1994,
packaging agreements were developed with major
manufacturers in the agrichemical business to offer
products packaged in returnable/refillable containers.
By 1996, over 200,000 gallons were packaged and shipped
in returnables, eliminating the disposal of 82,000
one-way containers. By the year 2000, over 500,000
gallons were packaged in returnables, eliminating
disposal of over 200,000 one-way containers. The
500,000 gallons were shipped to over 260 locations with
a customer base of over 180 endusers nationwide.
Activities over the
last six years has proven:
1. Returnable/refillables can be used in a cost
2. Closed loop systems can increase worker productivity
3. Both products and containers can be tracked and
managed efficiently through various existing supply
4. Providing a process that is environmentally sound
does not have to be more costly
5. Expansion of this process in to other markets is
only limited to one’s willingness to understand
and explore the possibilities.